Instead, why not grab a couple glasses of water FIRST. Why? Because after a night's sleep, resting and repairing itself, your body is dehydrated and craves water to replenish what it has lost overnight. After all, our bodies are about 60% H2O and ever cell in your body depends on it.. Water is essential for your muscles, joints, brain and skin.
I often get asked by customers and clients if I know of a natural headache remedy. I immediately suggest water. Why? Well, if you are hungry your stomach growls, telling your brain that you want food. One of the only ways your body can tell you it's thirsty (or at least the first way) is to give you a headache, in a sort of 'hey, I'm thirsty' kind of way. The brain is about 90% water! Water also helps with elimination - your skin will sweat as a way to keep you cool, but it's also getting rid of toxins too and water is key. Water helps with constipation, helps to cure food cravings, keeps skin supple and much more.
How much water should one consume per day? Well, it varies by individual but I often will use a quick rule of taking my weight, then divide it in half and consume that number of ounces of water. Some people say 6 to 8 glasses per day, but like I said, it varies by individual and lifestyle. Someone who is active, working out or works outside might need twice the amount of H2O as someone who is inside most of the time or mostly sedentary. If urine isn't clear, you're already showing signs of dehydration!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy water is with a squeeze of lemon and a piece of ginger, left in my 32 ounce bottle, left refrigerated overnight, but you can add any combination of fruit and herbs to give you an extra lift! I will drink about 32 ounces (one quart or about 1 litre) each morning and then sip, sip, sip all day long.
The Super Seven Benefits of Drinking More Water
2. Water helps to keep skin soft and supple and is a great way to beat wrinkles! By staying hydrated you give your skin a fighting chance against aging! Moisturize from the INSIDE!
3. Prevents Muscle Cramping, Joint Pain and other ailments that are largely caused by being dehydrated. All of your muscles and joints benefit from being well-lubricated, so keep them happy!
4. Keep Headaches at bay. Like I said above, your body doesn't have another way to tell you it's thirsty (unless you're grossly dehydrated), so headaches are more frequent. Instead, skip the pain, sip by sip with water.
5. Water helps keep your brain focused. Your brain is made up of fat and water, in fact your brain is about 90% water! By giving it the water it needs, your brain will be more focused and concentrate better, helping you to be more active and alert during your day.
6. Water is a Natural Appetite Suppressant. By drinking water you fill up your stomach, making cravings disappear. Water helps whisk away unhealthy fats in the blood and is calorie free. It also plays a role in raising metabolism. If you've been feeling sluggish, a great way to start to reverse that problem is by drinking more water!
7. By drinking water instead of drinking alcohol, coffee or sodas, you'll give your body an added plus by allowing it to heal itself, essentially boosting your body's ability to fight off infection. Dehydration plays a major role in a lot of debilitating diseases, by staying well-hydrated, you give your body a fighting chance at staying healthy!
For additional tips, recipes and Gluten Free living resources, visit www.IslandBreezeSoups.com
Rocco Antonelli is the chef and owner of Award Winning, Island Breeze Soups. He writes about food, gluten free living and offers helpful tips on wellness and living a healthy lifestyle.