Gluten Free - Celiac - Paleo? We Can Help!
Former Tampa Lightning Chef, and Island Breeze Owner, Rocco Antonelli
Owner Rocco Antonelli's
Eating Gluten Free or Gluten Intolerant?
Gluten. It's a sticky subject indeed. Actually the word comes from the French word for glue, you know that binding product that sticks things together? Okay, so we know the root, how does that help? Well, gluten is the protein that is responsible for the elasticity in dough and gives baked bread it's structure. It's also responsible for holding pasta together. The problem? A LOT of people are allergic to it! In fact as many as 18 MILLION people have some form of non-celiac gluten intolerance.
Many people suffer from gluten related stomach maladies and IBS type symptoms, but did you know that there are a lot of surprising symptoms that you might not be aware of? Here are a few more:
1. Depression and Anxiety - Studies now show that celiac disease and gluten intolerance are linked to depression, anxiety and mood disorders.
2. Brain Fog - Being able to think clearly is important. Research has shown that in sensitive individuals, there can be significant intolerance of IgG Antibodies that can result in feeling 'spaced or foggy'.
3. Autoimmune Disease - Gluten Intolerance has been linked to several Autoimmune diseases, including Thyroid, Hashimoto's & Grave's disease.
4. Migraine Headaches and Skin Problems - Due to the ability of gluten to significantly increase inflammation in the body. Tissues become swollen, restricting blood flow to various areas. The University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research says that eating gluten free can relieve many symptoms of Chronic Migraine sufferers.
5. Achy Joints and Muscles - The Arthritis Foundation has found a significant link between gluten intake and flare up episodes of muscular aches and joint pain. This is due to gluten causing inflammation.
Eating the Paleo lifestyle ?
Paleo is a way of eating that is simple, natural and healthy. Think of it as eating in a style before processed foods, the way our hunter-gatherer ancestors did! Think of it as the way Nature intended us to eat.
The Paleo diet eliminates grains, legumes, processed foods and dairy products. For the most part we don't use ANY of those things in our foods.It's nice to know that if you're trying to follow the Paleo Diet, you've got some tasty choices to help you along.
Some Gluten Free and Paleo Resources:
Zoodles - What are they?
We use their products in our soups and sauces. Their Amino-Acids have replaced Soy products in our daily lives and we couldn't be happier! They have a great selection of condiments and sauces, baking supplies, snack bars and frozen deserts. We love their garlic and teriyaki sauces and use them in preparing our Island Breeze products. They are Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Non-GMO, Low Glycemic, Low Sodium and are a very ethical, family based company. www.coconutsecret.com
We like Eileen Forte's wholesome approach to making delicious, Paleo foods like her Snack Bars and Paleo Simplified Super-Crunch. (trust us, it's as addictive as crack!) Her products are Gluten-Free too! She's got a great and informative website: www.paleosimplified.com
ISLAND BREEZE SOUPS, 6152 126TH AVE #503, LARGO, FL 33773 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2014